Friday, November 16, 2007

This I Believe

I believe in equality. Not a political, social, and/or economic equality, but a deep, thorough and utter equality of our human experiences. I believe that no one’s experience can set that person above or below anybody else in the world. I believe it can set them apart, yes, for I believe in diversity – I believe in infinite diversity. I do not believe in a hierarchy in the value of given human experiences, given human lives.

My two best friends that I have had the longest in life thus far are Dan and Alex. I have known Dan since before I can remember, and Alex since 7th grade. Both are more intelligent than I, and yet for different reasons were less “academically” inclined in elementary and then especially high school. They learned, and understood, but weren’t as bothered with all the “shoulds” of being a “high school student.” I did well “academically,” and was accepted into a good school that my parents could afford. Dan went to a family school on the East coast and Alex went to none, preferring to explore and learn about life through his own means.

Because of my family and my college I have been able to spend time in many countries on many continents. I’m now teaching on a Pacific island with palm trees, coconuts and the ocean literally all around. I could write for pages about seemingly exotic expereinces that are in fact quite normal. And yet, I know that when I return home the same beautiful thing will happen that happens every time we three have a reunion.

Dan and Alex have traveled less than I, and have had fewer “amazing experiences,”by our cultures ignorant definition. Nonetheless, when we see each other, I feel wonderfully humble. When I am with them, I know that they have as much to say, and will always have as much to say about being human as I will. For they, like myself, live it everyday.

It is this equality that I believe in. That the “human experience” is inherently made up of the equal sum of our individual lives, our individual realities, our individual experiences. That we each have as much sharing and listening to do as the next person. This I believe.

No comments: